Friday, July 12, 2013

First FX Camera the Nikon D800! (First Impression)

    Its summer vacation here in Japan, and to celebrate myself for surviving the first semester at photography school. I was able to buy my first FX camera the Nikon D800. This is actually a big step up for me, not only because I have been using a cropped sensor DSLR, the D5100 for the past year, but also realizing the physical limitation of having a smaller sensor in the camera compared to a full sized 35mm sensor.
  
   Opening up the D800, I was really surprised by the weight of this monster. It weighs nearly 1kg, about twice as much as my D5100, and it felt really solid. Lots of people complain by the weight saying its too heavy. But lots of people don't realize the fact that this is not a typical dslr you see most of the time. With 36.3 megapixels this is almost the equivalent to a medium size format camera. With that mindset, it is actually about one-third lighter which is revolutionary.
  
   When I entered school in Tokyo, the majority of students in first year either purchased a Nikon D600 followed by D7000-7100 or a Canon 5D Mark 3, 6D,(7D). The main reason why I bought this camera instead of a D600 (newer) was the D800 will be used longer compared to the D600. After I graduate from school, most professionals using Nikon tend to use D4, D800-D800E (D7100 might be option) Canon aside, a  1DX, 5D Mark 3 or 6D,  putting the D600 as a sub camera category. I did not want to invest in one entry level FX camera then another better camera for later.

<Please note, other cameras one generation old are still being used by professionals such as>
     Nikon: D3s, D3x, D700 -out of production though its a really good camera-, F6 (film camera) etc..
     Canon: 1D(series before X), 5D Mark 2 etc..

    Another reason why I chose this camera instead of a D600, is megapixels needed for my type of work. Compared to fashion/portrait photographer who need the extra burst rate to shoot continuous with flash, my work which is mostly commercial work (advertising shooting products mainly) tends to be done in a studio with sometimes the use of a tripod and resolution matters the most.

   I am still reading the instruction manual for the D800 and probably do a part 2 for this after I understand the functions of the buttons. Maybe a review on the camera. hopefully by end of the week I am good to go. (^_^)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment